Joy to My WorldDecember 6, 2009
Is it me or does Christmas seem especially forced down our throats, and particularly early? So far, my reaction to the Jolly Mandate has been more or less “eh.” Not even the usually delightful Sundance catalog with the shiny red 1960s pick-up truck of my dreams carrying a freshly axed tree and Robert Redford is lifting my holiday spirit.
Which is why I’m making a list of the things that send me to my happy place as I make my way through Advent.
In no particular order:
1. Henry’s Bollywood dance party video. Say Shava Shava.
2. Pinot. They say alcohol is a depressant, but it sure makes me happy. Besides, “Pinot” looks so much like my last name, I like to pretend they invented it just for me and toast myself with every sip.
3. Colin Firth in Pride and Prejudice. Colin Firth in Bridget Jones. Colin Firth in Edge of Reason. Colin Firth in Love Actually.
And Daniel Craig.
4. A really good hair cut. I am girly. Surprise.
5. Ping pong. My parents just bought a ping pong table, an idea that both amuses me and makes me actually want to move in with them.
6. Lindt salted chocolate.
7. Henry, bouncing to NPR, evidently jazzed by the John Roberts confirmation hearings.
8. Bruce, on You Tube if not in person.
10. The UPS truck in my driveway. It might be wrong to hug the Man in Brown, but I think it would be more wrong not to.
Go ahead, write your list. I swear it makes a difference.